Goals of Cognitive Therapy Include:
- the promotion of self-awareness and emotional intelligence by teaching clients to “read” their emotions and distinguish healthy from unhealthy feelings
- helping clients understand how distorted perceptions and thoughts contribute to painful feelings
- the rapid reduction of symptoms with an emphasis on examining the client’s current situation and solving current problems
- the development of self-control by teaching clients specific techniques to identify and challenge distorted thinking
- prevention of future episodes of emotional distress and development of personal growth by helping clients change core beliefs that are often at the heart of their suffering.