The Power of Evidence Based Treatment
Significant advances in the treatment of various emotional disorders has taken place over the last several years. We now have a deeper and more fine-grained understanding of the psychological components of these disorders, which has resulted in more precisely targeted interventions. Most critically, research evidence has demonstrated the effectiveness of these programs.
The Center specializes in providing a number of these empirically supported treatment programs and training clinicians to use them.
Evidence-based (also referred to as empirically supported) psychological treatment programs possess the following desirable features:
- Have demonstrated their effectiveness — in comparison to other treatments — through randomized controlled trials.
- Due to improvements in research methodologies, these treatment programs are directly applicable to clinical situations,
- The development of the different treatment programs rests on psychological research which pinpointed the particular cognitive, emotional and behavior patterns thaujt underlie each disorder.
- Thus, subtle differences in each treatment program are based on a deeper understanding of each disorder, resulting in more precise and effective treatment interventions,
- The treatments are short-term (10-15 sessions) and, therefore, cost-effective.
- Many approaches have been evaluated. While CBT has demonstrated its superiority for many disorders based on the evidence, other approaches (INTERNAL LINK) have proven to be beneficial with certain difficulties.
Please Note: A recent article in the New York Times, Looking for Evidence That Therapy Works, highlights the importance of evidenced-based approaches.